Siletz Bay Kayak Tours
The Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge is one of six National Wildlife Refuges comprising the Oregon Coast National Wildlife Refuge Complex. This Refuge consists of some of the most scenic estuarine habitat along the Oregon Coast National Scenic Byway. Visitors often see a variety of wildlife, shorebirds, eagles and other raptors. Kayaking up the refuge does offer some natural wind protection from the summer's northwest winds. Kayaking the wildlife refuge is also tide depended so it's best to go with a guide who knows the area and how to navigate the tides. All Siletz Bay tour times are scheduled with the tides.
The Siletz Bay Refuge has an active land acquisition program and now totals over 500 acres, with several acquisitions still pending. The refuge protects high quality coastal wetlands and uplands next to Siletz Bay from encroaching development, and enhances habitat for a variety of birds and mammals. The Siletz Bay and River system supports large runs of anadromous fish including Chinook and Coho salmon, cutthroat trout, and steelhead. Juvenile salmonids will benefit from several planned tidal marsh restoration. Wildlife using the refuge include brown pelicans (endangered species), bald eagles (threatened species), peregrine falcons, Aleutian and dusky Canada geese, waterfowl, wading birds, shorebirds. Please respect this wildlife refuge by packing all your trash and following the leave no trace motto!
The Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge has limited parking so we recommend booking our Salmon River kayak tour on weekends and holidays. Please carpool when possible to help with the limited parking.
We have a 4 person minimum for all Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge private kayak tours. Feel free to call the shop to schedule your tour or for more information. 541-996-6335
|Location:||Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge|
|Price:||$119. / Person|
We take care of everything including transporting the kayaks.
- Kayak tour guide registered with OSMB
- Use of our Ocean Kayaks (high quality sit on top kayaks)
- Basic kayaking instructions & safety tips
- All kayaking equipment including kayaks, paddles, seats, life jackets.
- OSMB Aquatic Invasive Species Permits ( Waterway Access Permits)
- 1.5 hours
- Kayak and equipment transport, delivery, cleaning & return
- We bring a small dry bag that you may use for small personal items.
What to wear and bring?
Weather conditions can change quickly on the Oregon coast, so we recommend being prepared for everything. Participants will get their feet wet, so bring sandals, or water shoes, for walking in the water and on rough terrain. We also recommend quick drying shorts, a moisture wicking fleece top, a windbreaker, and a stocking cap to keep your ears warm. We have rental shorty wetsuits, and booties available upon request.
Our kayak tours operate rain or shine, so it’s best to bring a dry set of clothes to change into once your tour is finished. Our guides are very good at navigating to the calmer areas, but they can’t control the wind and chop, or the weather, so there is always a possibility you may get a little wet.
We recommend bringing the following items
- Water bottle & light snack
- Beanie /stocking cap
- Moisture wicking fleece top (cotton is not recommended)
- Extra layers (a windbreaker or rain jacket)
- Sandals, water shoes, or wetsuit booties for walking in the water and on rough terrain.
- Waterproof case for your smartphone and/or camera
- Extra set of clothes to change into in case you get a little wet.
- Gratuity for your guide ...optional, but always appreciated!
- 1.5 Hour Siletz Bay Wildlife Refuge Guided Kayak Tour
Things to Know
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Individual weight limit of 250lbs. Please call the shop if you exceed our weight limit. We can often put heavier participants in a single kayak or match them with a lighter participant.
- Children under 16, not allowed on mixed group tours, but are allowed on our private guided tours.
- Kids 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult on private tours
- Kids ages 5 and up welcome with an adult on private kayak tours
- All guests paddle in tandem kayaks unless other arrangements have been made
- Participants should be in good health and free from any heart conditions, back, or neck problems, or anything else that would hinder them from paddling a kayak.
- Please contact us if you exceed the weight capacity of our kayaks.
- Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11: MAX CAPACITY: 300-350 lbs
- Ocean Kayak Malibu 2: MAX CAPACITY: 425 lbs
- We have a Strict 72 hour cancellation policy! We require a minimum of 72 hours cancellation notice before your scheduled tour. Cancellations after the 72 hour limit, or no shows will be charged the full amount. We schedule and reserve your time and block other customers from reserving and scheduling after we have reservations, therefore we have to keep a strict 72 hour cancellation policy. This policy protects our customers and our tour guides.
More tips here: